Program Goals: (Hours 1, 2 and 3 of required training for certification)
- 1. Highlight local school bus fleets’ innovative activities, materials, and procedures.
2. Promote identifying and sharing innovative activities, materials, and procedures across all Michigan school bus fleets.
3. Identify and describe specific issues and questions, e.g. federal and state physical standards and school bus railroad crossing conflicts, confronting school bus fleet administrators.
4. Review bills before the legislature and The Michigan Association for Pupil Transportation’s Legislative Agenda for the 2015-16 legislative session.
- Mr. Darryl Hofstra Managing Emergencies Forest Hills Public Schools
- Mr. Douglas Francis School Bus Pre-Trip Gaylord Community Schools Inspection
- Ms. Betty Nelson Micro Professional Lowell Area Schools Development
- Michelle Metdepenningen Macro Professional Utica Community Schools Development
- Sergeant Joe Austin School Bus Driver Michigan Department of Medical Examination Standards State Police Medical Waiver Board
- Mac Dashney Summary, Wrap-up, & Evaluation Pupil Transportation Operation & Management Institute
The Part II presentations include hours four (4), five (5), and six (6) of the required biennial six-hour training. The theme for this training cycle is “School Bus Nuts and Bolts.” The program’s focus is on both innovative programs developed by local transportation supervisors and on resources available to fleet administrators.
Federal & State: Laws, Regulations, and Rules
Sgt. Mike McLaughlin Prioritize Laws, Regs, & Rules Mich State Police
Ms. Jean Ruestman Apply Laws, Regs, & Rules MDOT
Mr. John Harris Implement Laws, Regs, Rules MDoS
Mr. Ken Micklash Oversee Laws, Regs, & Rules MDoE
School Bus Multiple Camera Systems
Mr. George Gibson Multiple Camera Systems Perry Public Schools
Driver Alert System – Evaluation Project
State Rep. Holly Hughes What & Why Needed MI House of Representatives
Mr. Paul Wegmeyer Project Specifications West Ottawa Public Schools
MAPT Legislation Committee
Mr. John VanLoon District Perspective Ravenna Public Schools
Mr. Tim Funk Fleet Operation Ravenna Public Schools
Summary, Wrap-up, and Evaluation
of Traffic Safety TAAM
Website: Addresses & Resources
Continuing Education Archives